Sunday, June 12, 2016

Oats in United States

More than 75% of the total cultivated oat production in the world is of the species, Avena sativa, with the remaining 25% consisting primarily of Avena byzantina. A. sativa is most commonly known as a white oat, used for planting in the spring and the type of oat consumers expect from the retail shelves.

Oats were first planted in the United States on Cuttyhunk, an island off the Massachusetts coasts in 1602. Culture of oats became important within 30 years of its initial introduction. Oats are now the fourth most important crop in the United States, after corn, wheat and soybean according to area planted.

In North America, the spring-seeded oat region extends from the central United States northward into southern Canada and includes the intermountain areas of Utah, Idaho, and other western states.

Oats is a significant crop in the Northern and Central Plains. It can produce high quality forage, be used as a feed grain, and can be used for human consumption in hot and ready-to-eat cereals and granola bars.

Oats are an important feed component for horses, dairy cattle, poultry and hogs, being high in protein and fiber content compared with other grains on a weight basis. They also play an important role in crop rotation programmes.

United States is an important world producer of oats, ranking sixth after Russia, Canada, Poland, Finland and Australia.  In 2013, United States produced about 929 Thousand Metric Tons.
Oats in United States

The most popular articles